Hong Kong democracy activist Joshua Wong said on Tuesday his bid to run as a candidate in next month’s district elections had been rejected.
Sharing a copy of the letter from the returning officer on social media, the 22-year-old who was jailed for his part in leading the 2014 Umbrella Protests said he was the only candidate who had been barred.
“It proved how Beijing manipulate the election with political censorship and screening,” he wrote on Twitter.
The letter, signed by returning officer Laura Aron, stated that Wong’s nomination had been ruled “invalid”.
Wong submitted his nomination papers earlier this month.
November’s district elections are expected to be a major test of the mood in Hong Kong after nearly five months of demonstrations that were triggered by a government plan to introduce amendments to a now-cancelled extradition bill.
The rallies have since developed into a broader call for more democracy, but have also been rocked by outbreaks of violence.
In response to media enquiries, the government issued a statement saying the nomination of a candidate, whom it did not identify, had been ruled invalid.
It indicated the problem was related to the individual advocating “self-determination” for Hong Kong, which it said conflicts with the requirement for candidates to declare they will pledge allegiance to the city and uphold its constitution.