The Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr Chris Ngige, has said the Federal Government will no longer review workers’ salaries as earlier promised.
The acting Head of the Civil Service of the Federation, Dr Folashade Yemi-Esan, had said through the Director of Communications in her office, Mrs Olawunmi Ogunmosunle, that the FG would ensure that all states complied with the salary adjustment (done in 2019) to the N30,000 new minimum wage first before the general wage review would take place.
But in an interview with our correspondent in Abuja on Tuesday, Ngige said wage review had been put on hold.
He said, “There was a presidential committee on wages and I said the issue of review of wages or any other thing is put on hold until we finish with the minimum wage and after that we will go to the consequential adjustment.”
Asked if the FG would still do the review this year, the minister said, “We are not doing any wage review now. Let us settle the issue of minimum wage and make sure that everybody pays.”
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Labour Congress has condemned the burning of 30 people and vehicles by Boko Haram insurgent in Auno, Borno State, on Sunday.